A fence or a wall can make an exciting difference to your property by adding privacy and security. Building a fence or wall can be a great do-it-yourself project. But, before you begin, there are a few things that you should know.
Yes. A building permit is needed anytime a fence or wall is built or installed on your property. The permit helps us to make sure that your building plans meet all construction and development standards set by the City. The standards will help protect the health and safety of you and your neighbors and are important in preserving a good quality-of-life in your neighborhood.
For Walls, you will need electronically signed construction drawings.
For fences, you will need a site plan, which can be drawn on top of a copy of your survey. A survey should already have the following requirements:
- Legal description
- Existing property lines with property dimensions
- Location of easements, their purpose (i.e. utility or drainage easements) and dimensions
- Location of streets that are adjacent to the property
- Locations and dimensions of all buildings and structures on the site, including the air conditioner compressor units
- Distance (setbacks) of all buildings or structures from property lines and distance between buildings or structures on the same site
- Location and dimensions for driveways, patios and decks
You’ll need to add the proposed location and height of the fence or wall.
If you plan to remove any trees you will need to obtain a tree permit.
Follow our steps to apply for your fence permit.